The Return of Geordie

>> Saturday, July 28, 2007

Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts for Geordie. He is now home again, although I was reminded again that he is "not yet out of the woods", due to the fact that his intestines were opened up, potentially releasing strong bacteria into his body. He is on a special diet for the next fourteen days, along with two kinds of antibiotics... And of course he is sporting the ever fashionable "buster collar" which he has been using as a sort of snowplow to push things out of his way... If he can make it through the next few days without developing an infection, or tearing his internal stitches, or losing any of his stomach staples (there are twenty-three, he kind of looks like frankendog) we should be on the home stretch. Since bringing him home from the vet's yesterday afternoon, I've called no less than four times to ask questions about things (is his poo supposed to be technicolour yellow? what time should I give him his pills? how much can he eat, 'cause he thinks he's dying of starvation?). They've been very nice to me, and haven't (overtly) laughed at any of my questions. But then again the bill was $2099.40, and I think that at that price clients should get a free pass on as many dumb-ass questions as they like, for at least the next three years...
I know that all three of my quasi-regular readers must be thinking how crazy I am to have spent so much money on the pup. But what can I do, I didn't know how much it was going to cost. And to be honest if told at the beginning, I would have said go for it, even knowing that there was a good chance that the surgery might fail. I guess the way I look at it is that I chose this dog, he didn't choose me. That being the case, I feel that it's my responsibility to do everything within my power to ensure that he is healthy and happy.
I got a new camera the other day, and the battery's charging at the moment. As such there will be no photo for this post. Instead I thought I'd share some facts about Geordie that you would never guess just from looking at him:

  • his ears smell like honey
  • he loves to sleep beside the toilet (I don't get it either...)
  • he has ten nipples (which I previously didn't know or care about, but now that his belly has been shaved they are very obvious)

1 comments:

Solomon 8:44 pm  

what a great idea! I happen to have the ear that they took out of Geordie, I bet is has extra flavour...