And It's Lovely Rice Pudding For Dinner Again

>> Monday, November 09, 2009

So... I've been working as a chef in a conference/retreat centre for the last few months. As with most things in my life, it's something I just kinda fell into. It marks the very first time in my experience that I got the job because of who I know and not necessarily because of what I know. Which is not to say that I can't cook. As it happens I'm damn good at my job. And the biggest surprise of it all? I really, really like being a diva chef. I always thought it would suck to be in charge, as I've never liked telling other people what they should do. I think it boils down to the fact that I really hate it when someone (just about anyone) tells me what to do... But anyways. The whole not liking to tell people what to do really doesn't work when you're trying to run a kitchen. I'm no Chef Ramsay (he's just plain mean) but the kitchen really can't be a democracy. So I've learned to give directions to the rest of the staff, to juggle menus (not literally -there's not often time for that kind of crap), and to tread lightly in the minefield of interpersonal relationships in the workplace. It's taken me a while to get truly comfortable with the job, and I'm sure that time will continue to throw curve balls my way. God knows I've struck out a time or two. I just about caused WWIII by telling the prep cook that I didn't really care how the tomatoes were diced so long as they got diced in the very near future... In any case. I guess that's it. I was thinking about writing this whilst mopping today -not one of my official job duties, but I end up doing it most days anyroad. I'm sure I had some kind of quasi-coherent ending planned out, but I no longer recall what it might have been... So I guess I'll just end it now. Abruptly-ish. And hey, I'm thinking of posting some of my recipes. Lemme know what you think ok? I am still without my camera so a picture will just have to wait...

3 comments:

Anonymous 12:40 am  

Hey Elisa, great Blog.
Thanks for the soup too, it was tasty and delish!
Nicholas

Unknown 8:22 pm  

Cool! I've never thought of you as a chef!

Solomon 11:24 am  

you and me both... I'm trying to decide what to put up first in terms of recipes... mostly i'm waiting on my camera. it feels wrong to blog without adding pictures...